Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Dreams of a scholar

Sometimes a writer hits just the right note for a character: "... the Balearic slingers would be listening to him as he told them how they used to use their slings, and the next thing he would know would be either his housekeeper tapping at the door ..."

After all, you wouldn't be dreaming of listening to the ancients explaining things to you, the great scholar?

My own dreams are shorter and stranger. I found myself reading an economic treatise--I looked at the page header and it said Romans 16 as I expected, but looking back at the text it was still on economics. Finis

1 comment:

Korora said...

In a seldom-used section of Hogwarts, I found thousand-year-old graffiti reading "Ƿulfstan Pomone lufaþ." (Wulfstan loves Pomonu). I think it was my waking mind got the Old English grammar correct after I woke up.