Friday, September 04, 2020

Old habits

When I was a little lad, my father taught me how to comb my hair, and after all these years I unthinkingly put the part in the same place--even though if I moved it a half an inch I'd get no silly comb-overs.

On the other hand, I didn't understand why Mom folded towels in thirds instead of halves, until my wife's father showed why that was useful--and I switched and have been doing that ever since. I guess I comb more often than I fold.

Dad also taught me that shirts should be tucked in neatly, and I still do that without thinking. All the "cool kids" let the shirt hang out over the trousers these uncertain days, and I'm trying to remember to do the same--so far not very successfully. Why give away security information?

I never did get the hang of Mom's hospital corners, though.

2 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I fold some articles in thirds and others in halves. I don't know why. Tell me.

james said...

So do I.

A canvas folded in thirds repeatedly may be set in the center of the area it is to be used in and unfolded in place without having to drag it around.
The same is true for a towel, and not having to drag thing around on a table is useful in a hospital. Not so much at home, but they pack more compactly and less likely to open up when you're stacking them in a closet.
Shirts don't fold neatly in vertical halves, thanks to the buttons and collar, but do if you fold in vertical thirds. That compactness helps me when trying to pack everything into a carry-on.
Folded in thirds I can fit three towels on a bathroom towel rack. When one has teenage daughters, having plenty of towels in place is mandatory.

OTOH, for some things (wash cloths) it doesn't make any difference, and halves are slightly easier.
I tried thirds with tablecloths, but I'm not the only one who sets those out, and it just confused people. And it was a lot more effort and hid the tablecloth color, which annoyed people.