Sunday, September 13, 2020

Wildfires

There's a rumor that Antifa has extended their burning program to the forests, and that many fires have started by the roads, and that witnesses have seen arsonists. It's vehemently denied, of course.

It wouldn't surprise me that such an organization would consider expanding their scope. We may find out in due course. I doubt the official denials--they came too quickly.

Sometimes I try to imagine myself as the criminal. If I were one of those who like to set forest fires, I think I'd want to join in. The other fires are a proof-of-principle that conditions are ripe, and there's plenty of confusion, perhaps making it more likely that I could get away with setting one or two of my own.

I've no specialized knowledge about this kind of crime, but I'd predict that where you have a few wildfires, firebugs will set more. Antifa wouldn't be needed to explain the outbreak.

OK, now I have to figure out where to get the information to prove or disprove my conjecture about firebugs...

3 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Henry David Thoreau set a forest fire so that he could watch his neighbors struggle with it. Just thought I'd point that out here.

james said...

Hmm. I didn't think it was easy for him to drop much lower in my esteem.

Korora said...

Tungsten-Tritium-Fluorine made him think that wasn't a Thoreauly bad idea!?