Monday, December 20, 2021

Musical misc

Khachaturian's Masquerade Suite starts with a Waltz and then goes on to a much slower Nocturne. All five parts are fine, but I like the waltz best--and think it would sometimes be fitting as a nocturne.

When I was a youngling back in Los Angeles, I wasn't terribly excited by most of the hymns, but "Angels We Have Heard On High" was fascinating. It probably says something about my taste that it was the drama of the chorus I loved--and loved it still more because I could almost manage it myself. Or at least, I could manage it to satify my own ear--the unknown composer might have had some suggestions.

These years I tend to listen to the lyrics more, and prefer carols of hope in the middle of trouble, or of mystery. I weary very quickly of "home for the holidays" sorts of things. Some of those were hope in times of trouble too--"I'll be home for Christmas"--but that aspect seems mostly lost and a fake nostalgia takes its place.

Working from home means I'm not singing in the car so much. And half the time I'm at church I'm running sound/slides and not singing there either. Maybe I need one of these for the home office.

5 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

"Angels We Have Heard on High" has a great bass part.

Roy Lofquist said...

Try this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38igakHk9_I

james said...

I like it. It fits.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Yeah, wow. She has a depth and richness that sounds 30, not 12.

Roy Lofquist said...

Angelina won Norway's Got Talent at the age of seven. She's 16 now and has written 5 songs of her own. She has been quite prolific, covering well over 100 songs from jazz to blues to country to pop. Here are the two that have received the most attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwFloCPXzCs&list=PL2v8kgVeo4EbQD6l_WAVjOfItquzW7oEc&index=21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU_R7jcL69E&list=PL2v8kgVeo4EbQD6l_WAVjOfItquzW7oEc&index=9

You can find her oeuvre here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2v8kgVeo4EbQD6l_WAVjOfItquzW7oEc

Hit the "Play All" for a trip down the rabbit hole.