Sunday, April 03, 2022

Master of Divinity had a slightly different meaning...

Going out into the day:

O you soul, great majestic, behold, I have come that I may see you; I open the Netherworld that I may see my father Osiris and drive away darkness, for I am beloved of him.

I have come that I may see my father Osiris and that I may cut out the breath of Seth who has harmed my father Osiris. I have opened up every path that is in the sky and on earth, for I am the well-beloved son of my father Osiris. I am noble, I am spirit, I am equipped; O all you gods and all you spirits, prepare a path for me.

Another one:

I have dug up the sky, I have hacked up the horizon, I have traversed the earth to its furthest extent, I have taken possession of the spirits of the great ones, because I am one who equips a myriad with his magic. I eat with my mouth, I defecate with my hinder-parts, for I am a god, lord of the Netherworld, I have given up those things which were established in the past, I have planned appearance in glory.

Going in and out of the west:

To me belong all men, I have given everything to myself. I have gone in as a falcon, I have come out as a phoenix, the god who worships Ra. Prepare a path for me, that I may enter in peace into the beautiful West, for I belong to the Lake of Horus, I leash the hounds of Horus. Prepare a way for me, that I may go in and worship Osiris, the Lord of Life.

..........

These spells don't seem to have just been limited to the use of Pharoahs. Maybe at first, but over time it looks like anybody who could afford a spell papyrus could call himself Ra. (in a different spell) Though a god who has to step aside for a toilet break probably can't send down fire from heaven...

No comments: