Friday, October 28, 2022

Wuhan Institute of Virology

I'd have thought that if you want to work with biohazards like the big boys, you'd fund your facilities to operate like the big boys. But maybe you just build the facilities and check for political reliability instead. Vanity Fair has a report on the Wuhan facility and others in China. If true, they were much worse than I expected. "when Chinese officials “describe the solution to a problem, that’s how you find out what went wrong.”"

I didn't know that stainless steels were readily corroded by cleaning agents. I'd never heard of pishi before either.

4 comments:

Korora said...

Of course my mind jumped to U. N. Owen from Agatha Christie's Ten Little Indians.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

@ Korora - that never occurred to me, but I think I see the point. You do have a remarkably nimble mind.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

The article is more than a little alarming. Few American players come out looking good, but they pale in comparison to the deceitfulness of the CCP.

Dave said...

Stainless is affected by chlorine - home brewers know to not use Clorox but an iodine sanitizer instead.

Doesn't have to eat through, it can leave deep pits in the metal. A surface that looks clean and has been washed with a sanitizing solution can still harbor pockets of activity.