Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Speculating beyond the author's intent

The last line of the Bergmans' song "What are you doing the rest of your life?" runs "All I ever will recall of my life is all of my life with you"(*)

It's not perfectly precise. I do in fact recall some of my life before I met my wife. It's hazy, but lots of things in my past are. But it does feel like the most significant part.

Perhaps our life with the Spirit of Christ will have a similar retrospective. Will the Spirit transform everything, or only what we let Him?


(*) Quite a contrast from the almost cowardly line "I don't want to change your life" from the song "I'd really love to see you tonight."

1 comment:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

CS Lewis, and I think he got it from Chesterton, talked about salvation being retroactive, gradually taking over everything that went before it, as we see God's work in us at earlier and earlier moments.