Wednesday, May 24, 2023

American grapes

I don't remember hearing about grapes when we went to Cahokia, but they, and many other tribes, used grapes. Raw, dried, as jam, as medicinal tea, a drink thickened with cornmeal--one variety even was used for a snakebite remedy and an emetic. Another was supposed to strengthen women and increase fertility.

One familiar use is not in the list.(*) I'm not sure why--perhaps the North American varieties didn't have enough sugar to make it easy. Some people make wine from American heirloom grapes, but I notice that they include as "heirloom" the crosses between the Old World Vitis vinifera and the American varieties. I suspect they would maybe be a bit more selective if the native varieties were as good.

Idle curiosity--I'm not into wine myself.

(*) The Zuni made wine from grapes. (The Kwakiutl made an alcoholic drink with elderberries, molusks, and tobacco. Yikes.)

4 comments:

Korora said...

Ethanol and nicotine together?
"Cigareets and whuskey/And wild, wild women/They'll drive you crazy/They'll drive you insane..."

Assistant Village Idiot said...

@ Korora - the Muppets did that song, and I recommend their version.

Korora said...

@AVI - That's the only version I know.

RichardJohnson said...

(The Kwakiutl made an alcoholic drink with elderberries, molusks, and tobacco. Yikes.)
Must have had an interesting flavor, to say the least.


My parents made wine from grapes they found in the woods near our home in New England.