Monday, May 08, 2023

Study war no more?

" I think our current generation in Washington has hardly any experience in war and, yes, there is an urge to be close to violence."

I think that hits part of the situation. It certainly ties in with David's thoughts about victory: "Do not slay them, or my people will forget". Our elites, unaccustomed to war, have nonsensical notions about what matters, and an urge to get involved despite their ignorance.

I think "an urge to be close to violence" includes "an urge to prove yourself in an important struggle." If there is no existential or even merely important struggle at hand, you'll find or imagine one. We need to be needed; need to be important. We'll exaggerate the threat (words=violence!) until we matter--or until life hits us with a clue-by-four.

4 comments:

Grim said...

I thought the title of the piece was intended to be rhetorical. "Are We Led By Foolish People?" It turns out he thinks the answer is "No."

Grim said...

Now I see your comment above: Prov 17:29--"the eyes of a fool are on the ends of the earth."

That does sound dispositive on the question of whether our leaders are fools. Ukraine, Afghanistan, Syria and Iran, but how are our bridges and borders?

james said...

Yes.

And, of course, there's "Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him." Proverbs 26:12

BTW, I misread my own handwriting and wrote 17:29 when I meant 17:24

Grim said...

Ah! I just assumed you had the citation correct. :)