Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Today's covid watch

UW-Madison is moving to online classes. Spring break is being extended a week and students asked to please move out of the dorms when they leave. Profs are supposed to use the extra week to shift to online classes. (They understand that some students can't do that--e.g. Italian students--so some dorms will still be open.)

We started looking at this a while back, but I suspect that hand-holding a couple of thousand lecturers through the process is going to take more than a week. And we'll need a lot of facilities: lots of tech support to keep them running too.

I'm to travel tomorrow--but I'll be driving, not flying, so as long as I use care gassing up the car I shouldn't see much opportunity for infection, and as long as Louisville doesn't go all New Rochelle I should come back on time.

Conferences are cancelled left and right, and it looks like the collaboration meeting in Brussels isn't going to happen. Maybe it'll be virtual--I wasn't slated to attend, but I could try a virtual meeting. I just have to set the alarm to "impossibly early."

And, one of the team is self-isolating. It doesn't sound like covid to me, but he wants to be safe, and he can work just as easily from home--maybe more so.

The ravens aren't perched watching us yet. COVID-19 hasn't turned into corvid yet.

No comments: