Sunday, October 11, 2020

Dreams

From time to time I have extremely realistic dreams: dreams that seem so real that on waking I have to mentally go through the day to force a realization that I was not at the grocery store yesterday, so I could not have been dancing on the potato bin. One dream was especially awkward to deal with, as it simulated memories that supposedly were from many different days.

I suppose that says something about how memories work in my brain.

In one sense I'm not responsible for my dreams--I've no conscious control over them. In another sense--they draw on the raw material of what I have been thinking about or exposing my mind to, so I sort-of am responsible. Which is a disconcerting thought.

Of course, the overwhelming majority are the usual sorts of things: blenderized fragments of the day. Though--quite a few of the longer dreams have had the same theme playing out: cascading problems where one attempted fix causes other problems without fixing the old, and no way to try again.

1 comment:

Douglas2 said...

The worst for me are the dreams where I've completed a real-life difficult task in my dream, so I have the memory of "done that, don't need to worry about it anymore" and it therefore it doesn't get completed in real life.

I've also twice (in 20 years) had the situation where I've somehow offended my wife by doing something I don't remember -- and need to atone for it big-time -- and we have only later worked out that it was the me in her dream that caused the offense, which is why the non-dream me was so confused about it.

Douglas2