Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Getting past politics

I read Mark Steyn's tribute to Herbert Kretzmer this evening. (his "songs of the week #391") I'm lousy with names, and I'd no idea how many songs he'd worked on. One was "Hier encore" ==< "Yesterday When I Was Young;" not a translation but an inspired-by; and better than the original.

One sad thought is that I know several people who would love the article, but wouldn't be able to get past his politics on the sidebar.

Maybe there's sampling bias involved, but it seems that this "unable to get past his politics to appreciate his other work" belongs more to the sociopolitical "left."

Not entirely--I am not interested in John Wayne Gacy's poetry, no matter how good it may be (assuming he wrote any). I was curious about Hitler's paintings in a "What if?" way, but I'd be revolted if somebody were trying to market them. And I don't think I could read Marion Zimmer Bradley's work the same way--or perhaps even again.

I can see being unwilling to give money to people who hate you, but the effect extends to cases where there's no cost involved.

One could use a flattering description, and say that the left are more "integrated" and the right more "partitioned", and that an "integrated" life finds evil anywhere unendurable. Or you could try flattering the other direction and say that conservatives are more "just" and willing to give credit where due.

Maybe one could better say that "evil" attitudes and ideas more often have importance equal to evil actions for the "left" than they do for the "right."

Or maybe "the worst believer is better than the best unbeliever."

No comments: