Saturday, October 30, 2021

Shortages

The hospital told us yesterday they couldn't get crutches, and were contemplating asking for donations. They did have a walker--but we'd already gotten one like it but with a seat. If you're curious about how shortages effect businesses, this man describes trying to keep an HVAC firm running in our shortage-rich environment.

Our experiment is trying to replace some computing hardware, and Dell tells us they can estimate prices and availabilities up to about 30 days out, but beyond that... Memory is through the roof too, and we tend to need a lot of it.

Can we get some injunctions on California on "restraint of trade" grounds? I know governments are usually immune, but this has gotten pretty egregious.

1 comment:

Thos. said...

Back in mid-August, I took a lawnmower into the shop for repair.
A few days later, they called with the bad news - it needed an expensive part. They said they'd have to order it and it would take about two days to get there.
A couple of weeks later, I checked up on how things were going, and they said the part was back-ordered, with no estimate of availability.
They called yesterday and let me know that the mower is ready to be picked up.
Frankly, I'm surprised. I assumed that my part was on a ship somewhere and that it would be spring before I got my mower back.