Friday, August 05, 2022

Too soon old,

too late smart.

I'd started sanding the steps to make sure the new paint would adhere, and realized the wood dust was going to be dangerous. So I stopped. And then I remembered how old the house was.

There seem to be some supply chain issues with lead paint test kits--the local stores were out and the first place I ordered from waited until the (much belated) day the order was to arrive to tell me they were out of stock. The second order got to me in a couple of days, and I tried it right away.

So, I need a better mask, and tacky sheets, and maybe a HEPA vacuum. I'm contemplating ripping the stairs out completely (the stringers splayed a bit and most of the treads don't fit in the dados well--I put braces underneath), but I've a lot of cleanup to address first. And I've got to plan it so one cleanup doesn't stir up dust elsewhere. I had other projects planned... At least I was still using the coarse grit.

No comments: