Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Spiritual "concierge"

A quick duck-duck-going will find you plenty of kings and queens who had a personal confessor. They undoubtedly had great need for one.(*) Some of them took their jobs quite seriously, and prescribed penances that our era finds startling--and those kings and queens did as bidden.

I suspect there are no significant penances in the world of "spritual concierges", who handle crystals, sage burning, "full moon intention ceremony," and other services to residents of these condos. My church doesn't go in for exorcisms much, but since I can't afford to live in one of these places anyway it doesn't matter.

I remember arriving in the Paris airport way early, and seeing signs for a room for religious use and meditation. I was pleasantly surprised, and eventually found the tiny pair of rooms. At that hour they were empty of people and full of Muslim literature, and showed little wear. It didn't look comfortable, and suggested unhappy possibilities about travelers.


(*)

But many a king on a first-class throne,
If he wants to call his crown his own,
Must manage somehow to get through
More dirty work than ever I do,

No comments: