Saturday, July 10, 2021

With friends like this

Some years ago I was asked to lead a study based on The Prayer of Jabez. I firmly declined.

It reminded me strongly of the apocryphal (I hope) sermon based on Genesis 27:11.

While looking for options for a new study (so far no consensus from the group), I scanned a catalog of Christian books and teaching aids, and found... Do I need to comment on this?

The Heart That Grew Three Sizes -- DVD Curriculum Rediscover the gift of Advent this year by looking at a familiar holiday classic through the lens of faith! In this 4-session study based on Dr. Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rawle explores Christian themes including the growth of the Grinch's heart, why Christmas saved him, and how the things we despise can sometimes change our lives.

The catalog also offers some other pop-studies "The 40-Day Sugar Fast", some mediocre-sounding studies, a number of renowned commentaries and other tools, and a number of studies that are actually good. Curiously enough, the catalog omits quite a few of the Christian classics. Possibly they feel they can't compete with CCEL.

I'm not saying that secular works can't point to Christ. One key step in my journey to Christ was reading a secular poem by Lewis Carroll. But seriously--is it honest to make 4 lessons of this?

1 comment:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

You are talking my language. Even the supposedly serious studies - Blackaby for example - are clich-ridden and filled with nonsense taken from secular philosophies. Have been in mental health professionally for four decades, I can assure you that after things go out of fashion in psychology, they live on in pop Christian psychology for years after.

I am about to email the Associate Pastor in charge of adult studies again about getting back into covering on teaching this year. Last year we had an enthusiastic woman do a lot from the Bible Project, which I 95% recommend. (That's quite high for me.) She is doing home church now, so there is a gap. I would love to do some CS Lewis, and engineerlite is considering doing Dallas Willard, but I fear what we may be asked to do instead.

Most of it is just crap. Even the study guides to works I like seem unable to direct a good discussion. Fortunately, the class itself usually has members solid enough and thoughtful enough that the discussion can be fruitful, even if the foundation is not.