Friday, January 11, 2013

just for fun

Have a look at this list of lesser known quotations. Some of them are quite fun. A few follow:

"There's too many strong to do nothing wrong and not enough strong to do right." -Dave Gordon, "Slip of the Hand" Matt 12:43-45

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr. stubborn ignorance ranks up there too

"Institutions will try to preserve the problem to which they are the solution." -Clay Shirky

"I've never seen turkey being sold as imitation tofu." -Lorrie B. Potters

"Some paintings would be easier to appreciate if the artists were hung next to them." -Lorrie B. Potters

"The heavens may fall, the earth may be consumed, but the right of a congressman to lie and defame remains inviolate." -George Creel, 1920

"If a pen is lost, a certificate to that effect must be furnished...and filed with the custodian. This certificate must give in detail specific circumstances attending the loss." -U.S. Geological Survey memo, 1913

"I do not need wireless access to Wikipedia. I would prefer to stir-fry my own small intestines than to have continual access to a site where the entry for Klingon is longer than the entry for Latin." - Tara Brabazon

"Doing research on the Web is like using a library assembled piecemeal by packrats and vandalized nightly." -Roger Ebert

"I have my own army in the NYPD." - Mayor Michael Bloomberg, November 2011.

"If a man stopped me in the street and demanded of me my watch, I should refuse to give it to him. If he threatened to take it by force, I feel I should, though not a fighting man, do my best to protect it. If, on the other hand, he should assert his intention of trying to obtain it by means of an action in any court of law, I should take it out of my pocket and hand it to him, and think I had got off cheaply." -Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men On The Bummel

"It was not the most intelligible piece ever written, but it had words in it." -H. Allen Smith Believe it or not, this was before blogging.

"The government are very keen on amassing statistics. They collect them, add them, raise them to the n-th power, take the cube root and prepare wonderful diagrams. But you must never forget that every one of these figures comes in the first instance from the village watchman, who just puts down what he damn pleases." - an anonymous English judge, quoted by Sir Josiah Stamp, 1929 Ditto newspapers and NGOs

"There may be aliens visiting Earth, but I can't figure out why they only seem to abduct the schizophrenics." -Martha A. Churchill

"The creditors are a superstitious sect, great observers of set days and times." -Benjamin Franklin This one I'd heard before

No comments: